Painting with a roller

Go down

Painting with a roller

Post  Biglumber on 5/9/2008, 21:18

Just finished painting my son's room. He chose dark dark brown. Anyway the coverage was terrible as I was using a power roller. It took 3 coats. I was thinking about a airless sprayer. Anybody have any experience? Does it take longer to mask and spray than it does to mask and roll? Would I get any better coverage?

Peace

TIA
Biglumber

Number of posts : 18
Rep Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting with a roller

Post  NesOne on 5/10/2008, 00:44

I might be able to tell you later on. I have a little air compressor and plan on buying a spray gun soon. But I think you will get better coverage, unfortunately it might need to be trial and error though. And I think it takes less time to mask and spray.
NesOne

Number of posts : 110
Rep Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

Registration date : 2008-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 5/10/2008, 05:30

I use a sprayer but not for interior though, I would imagine it would be much easier and a lot less messy.
Only thing i can foresee is over-spray floating around, you may want to put a fan in a window.
Coverage problems are usually due to not priming first. The color bleeds through if there is no barrier in between.
This is more so with glossy finishes but paint doesn't stick to paint, it sticks to primer though.
I hope this helps..
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 248
Rep Points :
3 / 1003 / 100

Registration date : 2008-04-19

View user profile http://garage-inc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gezer2u on 6/14/2008, 13:31

Hi, I'm a painting contractor and I can answer your question.

If you don't choose a stock color, one that doesn't need to be tinted, it will "hide" better. Don't get confused, Hide is a paint's ability to block out the color it is going over. Cover, as in " Coverage", is related to amount of area you can paint with a gallon of paint. It is referred to as "Square feet per gallon" on the label.
Now that that is out of the way. lol Paint comes in different "Base's" A Base is a measure of how fast it will tint and how much tint can be added. Bases have names like pastel base, medium tint base, dark tint base and so on until you get to the dreaded NEUTRAL TINT BASE! This is basically a clear that tint is added to. So it is like painting with really thinned paint.

It is best to choose a color that doesn't need a NEUTRAL TINT BASE. If you found just the right color and can't live with out it, prime first with a medium or semi-dark Grey tinted WATER BASED primer. Gray is better then using a color that is close to the color you have chosen. What happens is when you go over a light color with a dark color, the light reflects off the original color and is seen through the new color. Gray helps to stop this. It will still need 2-3 coats, but you shouldn't be able to tell where you cut-in the edges. If you don't prim, it can take as many as 5 or more to get to the same point.

Spraying will help a bunch to hide the old color. Unless you are really good at masking and have sprayed before, brush and Rolling is better and probably will give you a better looking job. For a small room, a professional painter will brush and roll before spraying. Generally, it takes more time to set up and clean up then it is worth. Of course, you mileage will very.

Hope this helps and wasn't too long winded. Smile

gezer2u

Number of posts : 1
Rep Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 6/14/2008, 13:38

I don't know a lot about painting but one thing my dad taught me when I was just a boy was that more often than not people paint without priming and are almost always unsatisfied with the results.
Think of priming as starting with a clean slate..
Admin
Admin

Rep Points :
3 / 1003 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  buzhunter on 6/14/2008, 16:43

Well, it sure seems that we now have a paint guy. LOL Welcome, very glad to meet you. I know who I'm asking if I need painting advice!

Number of posts : 125
Rep Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

Registration date : 2008-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 6/14/2008, 22:07

Yes, Hello and welcome gezer2u it's great to have a painter in the house..
Admin
Admin

Rep Points :
3 / 1003 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  NesOne on 6/18/2008, 00:57

Welcome gezer2u, and your post was great. You just probably saved me a lot of headaches with painting my son's room.
NesOne

Number of posts : 110
Rep Points :
1 / 1001 / 100

Registration date : 2008-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Biglumber on 6/18/2008, 21:38

Thanks guys. Wife wants to do those accent colored walls now. (my favorite emoticon)
Biglumber

Number of posts : 18
Rep Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 6/20/2008, 05:13

Biglumber wrote:Thanks guys. Wife wants to do those accent colored walls now. (my favorite emoticon)

She's going to keep you going till all the rooms are done..lol
Admin
Admin

Rep Points :
3 / 1003 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content