Garage Inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

3 posters

Go down

High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Empty High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

Post  buzhunter 5/22/2008, 19:10

We don't have a farm topic so I guess gardening is the best place to put this.

From Associated Press
May 21, 2008 6:51 PM EDT
MCMINNVILLE, Tenn. - High gas prices have driven a Warren County farmer and his sons to hitch a tractor rake to a pair of mules to gather hay from their fields. T.R. Raymond bought Dolly and Molly at the Dixon mule sale last year. Son Danny Raymond trained them and also modified the tractor rake so the mules could pull it.

T.R. Raymond says the mules are slower than a petroleum-powered tractor, but there are benefits.

"This fuel's so high, you can't afford it," he said. "We can feed these mules cheaper than we can buy fuel. That's the truth."

And Danny Raymond says he just likes using the mules around the farm.

"We've been using them quite a bit," he said.

Brother Robert Raymond added, "It's the way of the future."
buzhunter
buzhunter

Number of posts : 125
Rep Points :
High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Empty Re: High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

Post  Admin 5/22/2008, 21:08

Yeah when gas hits 5 dollars a gallon we may see more and more of this.
We may have to revert to our old ways of doing things. I remember my dad telling me that when his dad had to finally break down and retire his horses and buy a tractor is when his health started going down hill. People have forgotten what hard work is..
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 248
Rep Points :
High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-19

https://garage-inc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Empty Re: High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

Post  NesOne 5/22/2008, 23:57

Admin wrote:Yeah when gas hits 5 dollars a gallon we may see more and more of this.
We may have to revert to our old ways of doing things. I remember my dad telling me that when his dad had to finally break down and retire his horses and buy a tractor is when his health started going down hill. People have forgotten what hard work is..

Yup, as they say history repeats itself. All these advances in technology, tools, etc... has made alot of people lazier and/or less smart. For example, people rely so much on their cell phone to be a "roladex", that when the battery dies, they can't call anyone, because they chose not to memorize the phone number. Crazy things going on man, crazy.

It's funny, because I'm beginning to sound like my dad when I talk to my kids about how things use to be. Put it this way, I had to explain to my 10 year old daughter what a cassette tape was, and when I should her one, she tripped out, hahahahaha.
NesOne
NesOne

Number of posts : 110
Rep Points :
High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down